RE: FFS_ROOT is gone?

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:54:26 +0200
Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 02:22:41AM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > my kernel (5.1-REL) can't mount root (mountroot>) on my CF-card although
> > it's booting fine and I can mount the card on my USB card reader.
> > I had a look at GENERIC and saw that I didn't miss the option
> FFS_ROOT but
> > it doesn't exist any longer.
> > Any ideas why I can't mount root?
>
> Any messages?
> -can't mount- ist sparse input.
> Does it mount the volume without being rootfs?

The problem is solved. It was stupid, but I thought why should I have to set
/ in /etc/fstab when the filesystem isn't mounted yet, so the file can't be
read.
But it seems the kernel reads this file "loader-like" *before* the
filesystem is mounted.
Considering the above to be correct I can't understand the ability to enter
e. g. ufs:/dev/ad0a at "mountroot>" when it doesn't work.

But everything is fine now, thank you for your answer.

Best regards,

-Harry