errors using wi driver in -CURRENT

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:01:15 +0100
I've just reinstalled a 'desktop server' from FreeBSD 4.8 to -CURRENT, and
am finding quite a few problems with the 802.11b driver.    I'm trying to use
it as a access point, so I've tried setting the flag0,adhoc mediaopt, since
ibss-master which I had used under 4.8 didn't work.  This appeared to work,
but other computers couldn't connect.   Now, using just 'adhoc' other
computers can connect, but whenever any use the network, the rate shown in
'ifconfig wi0' drops to 2MBit/s and I only get about 100KB/s bandwidth.  Also,
whenever I try to reset the media and/or mediaopt settings using eg
'ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt adhoc', the driver or card seems
to go a bit buggy, with messages like:

wi0: bad alloc 2f2 != 1f7, cur 0 nxt 0
wi0: device timeout
wi0: device timeout
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0021; event status 0x0008

when I run 'ifconfig' wi0 output stalls for a few seconds, locking the system,
while another kernel error message appears.   I'm using the card with a
PCI converter card, and the card itself is:

wi0: <MELCO WLI-PCM-L11> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on
pccard0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:01:02:03:04:05
wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (8.36.1)
wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

on initial configuration, the Media line of ifconfig is:

media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet DS/11Mbps <adhoc> (none)

when I was recently getting ~35KB/s to the card, the 'OACTIVE' flag on the
interface was set.

I can provide more information which can help in diagnosing the problem, if
required.

--
Bruce Cran