Re: Annoucning DragonFly BSD!

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:56:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Gregory Sutter wrote:

To drag this back to more interesting topics, I'm not yet convinced that
branching off 4.X is a good thing.  I see all the mound of work to make
things work with mutexes, and it still seems like a good thing, and
something that CAN be still leveraged, even in a messaging prardigm.

I'll admit I might be wrong, but I'd sure appreciate a bit of discussion
about it.  I *like* the mutex idea, at base, and I really hate to lose the
work.

> On 2003-07-17 08:57 -0700, Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > > Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com> appeared to write:

> > > - A new kernel - OK - maybe it'll cross fertilise others,
> > >   but couldn't it run with an exisiting /usr/src ?  Free Net or Open.
> >
> > Mat had his commit bit unfairly removed.. what would YOU do?
>
> Look, let's not go there again--the past is the past.  The current
> situation is that Matt is using his skills and perspective to branch
> FreeBSD in an interesting direction.  We all know he can do it,
> so instead of repoliticizing the discussion by harping on how he
> was "treated unfairly", which we know is a subject fraught with
> disagreement, let's just focus on the work that Matt is doing to
> further the improvement of BSD technology.  OK?
>
> Greg

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr_at_chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.