Re: Keyboard not working with XFree86

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:50:01 -0700
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:28:05PM +0200, Daniel Lang wrote:

> The XKeysymDB file was missing! (And as I found out later, the XErrorDB
> file, as well).

The open-motif port used to spam this file with its own version, which
would then be removed when the port was deinstalled.  I think this is
now fixed, which could explain why it is no longer present on your
system.

This kind of "trespassing" by packages is difficult to recover from
automatically (i.e. there's no way to indicate that the usual
dependency ordering should be violated and XFree86-libraries should be
reinstalled *after* open-motif (which depends on XFree86-libraries)).
The solution is to reinstall by hand the package that had its files
stomped on.  Developing smarter tools to make sure that packages do
not stomp existing registered files would also be a benefit.

Kris