Re: OT:escaping X barfings

From: Farid Hajji <me_at_farid-hajji.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:40:28 +0200
> > CAn you tell me how a procedure how to patch X and kernel
> > to avoid X barfings from securelevel? My release is a FreeBSD 5.1.
> >                  2) adding `options APERTURE` to my kernel
> >                  3) make buildkernel && make install kernel && make
> > buildworld 4) reboot and face the music
>
> Do as you feel you must, but I installed 5.1-RELEASE and X from ports and
> it's running fine.  Are you starting from a terminal with 'startx' or do
> you start xdm at boot?  If you use startx, I believe you need to install
> x-wrapper to get around permission issues.

This is a FAQ. X needs to access /dev/io, which is not possible if
securelevel is raised. You need to startx/gdm and _then_ raise
securelevel. This is not flexible, because if X server crashes, you
can't start it again without rebooting.

OpenBSD provides an option 'APERTURE' which allows X to start
even when securelevel is >0. I wish we would have that as well...

--
Farid Hajji. http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html