gconftool-2 failing

From: Rik <rikb_at_corihemazoo.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:59:29 -0600
I have recently run into a problem with the gconftool-2 service that
comes with gnome2.

When I go into X I get a gcond process that runs out of control.

If I try to install ports that require the gconftool-2 to run the port
will fail to install.

The error message I see is this

gconftool-2 in free(): error: modified (chunk-) pointer.

My feeling is that it is not attributed to the switch to the new gcc
compiler but I could be wrong.

I work in a KDE environment but have gnome there so I can switch to it
if I fancy.

It is an i386 box running -current cvsupped and built at 1200 MDT
07/20/03.

PS I did read gnome's trouble shooting guide but the log file it
describes has no useful info.