Re: Buildworld fails in 5.1

From: Gordon Tetlow <gordont_at_gnf.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:37:19 -0700
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:36:37AM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> >It seems that the $(OUTPUTS) target (which has 3 components) causes
> >this particular error.
> >
> >+.ORDER: $(OUTPUTS)
> > $(OUTPUTS): $(CONF)
> >        MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=${CRUNCHOBJS} crunchgen -q -m $(OUTMK) -c $(OUTC)
> >        \
> >            $(CONF)
>
> Hmmm...  Is that what .ORDER is for?  To work around a
> parallel make that gratuitously rebuilds things?

Right it serializes build dependencies. The problem with crunchgen is
that a single command makes all of the OUTPUTS, so normally make will
spawn off the same command 3 times in parallel (which seems to cause
problems). To get around it, make it so you each of the OUTPUTS is
built in order and what occurs is a single crunchgen invocation that
the sees that the other OUTPUT targets are up-to-date and then
contintues along.

> >After doing that, I run into a problem with clparse.o from the dhclient
> >build. I think I might have a solution for that, but I'm too tired
> >right now to think straight. I'll look at it tomorrow.
>

> A-ha!  I've known that dhclient was a problem, but the
> above gives me an idea.  I wonder if the following helps?

I'll give it a whirl.

-gordon