Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:43:11 +0000
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:24:07PM -0400, Mik Firestone wrote:
> For what it is worth, I am having the exact same problem.  I cvsup'd and
> builtworld on Sunday, July 20,  and my machine has been crashing about every
> half-hour since.  It starts slowing down, the load average begins to
> climb until it eventually grinds to a halt.  If I wait long enough, I
> will see the same panic Stephane saw.
>
> Doing a ps -auxw shows that usb0 is using the vast majority of the CPU
> time before the grinding halt.  I have tried leaving the machine in
> multi-user and sigle-user mode with the same results.  I have attempted
> to compile a new kernel that does not have the USB stuff compiled in,
> but my machine won't stay running long enough.
>
> I do have the debugger compiled in, but I do not know enough of what I
> am doing to provide reasonable information to the list.  If somebody
> can tell me the commands to run in the debugger, I will let my machine
> panic again and grab that data.
>
> Mik

  Does reverting to pre-July 20 get rid of your problem?  Note that the
  originator of the first Email mentionned that he is running what
  appeared to be stock 5.1-RELEASE, which may or may not be related to
  what you're seeing.

  If reverting to pre-July 20 gets rid of your problem, perhaps we can
  figure out what commit triggered this behavior for you.  Also, do you
  have PAE enabled?

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/