should new-gcc kernels with -CURRENT still be panic()'ing right at boot?

From: John Reynolds <johnjen_at_reynoldsnet.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:45:01 +0000
Hi all, when the new gcc was imported I spotted a thread saying that the new
kernels *immediately* panicked (trap 12) upon booting. I too saw the same
behavior after a successful buildworld/buildkernel (with a config file
previously working just fine with 5.1-R sources).

Has this been fixed? Can people build working kernels on i386? I just CVSup'ed
this morning after successful builds, test boots into the resulting kernel
panicks immediately still.

My /etc/make.conf is:

   NO_LPR=true
   NO_FORTRAN=	true	# do not build g77 and related libraries
   NO_OBJC=	true	# do not build Objective C support
   NOPROFILE=	true	# Avoid compiling profiled libraries
   USA_RESIDENT=YES
   #HAVE_MOTIF=    yes
   CPUTYPE=i686
   CFLAGS= -O -pipe

The CPU is a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 (800FSB) on an ABit IC7 motherboard. 5.1-RELEASE
had no problem installing nor running on this h/w. Any ideas? Pointers?

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen at reynoldsnet.org        www.reynoldsnet.org
Sr. Physical Design Engineer - WCCG/CCE PDE     jreynold at sedona.ch.intel.com
Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.               FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
"Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses."