Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:31:48 +0000
On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:24:24AM -0600, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
> Thanks Bosko,
>
> I've changed my /boot/loader.conf to reflect the kern.vm.kmem.size option.
>
> kern.vm.kmem.size="350000"
>
> As far as changing the nmbclusters, I'm not sure how many I use now.  Do you
> know where I could get some values as what the total vs. how much is being
> used for the above values?  I'll setup some graphs to monitor those values
> for me and get an idea of how much the system is using and when if I can.

  'netstat -m'

  You can access the relevant sysctls directly; take a look at the way
  netstat does it in src/usr.bin/netstat/mbuf.c

> Also, I took a quick look at the developers handbook and couldn't find just
> yet what I needed to change to the kernel to provide a stack trace... do you
> know what options I should be adding to my kernel?  Also, should I try not
> to use an SMP kernel and just run GENERIC to see if continues to have the
> problem?  I can probably run on one CPU for a few days, especially over the
> weekend.

  At the very least, you need "options DDB".  This will drop you into
  the debugger on a kernel panic, at which point you can just issue 'tr'
  to get a stack trace.  Be careful, if you only have remote access to
  the machine, this is generally not a good idea.

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/