"authenticated tftp"

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:22:27 -0400 (EDT)
Yeah, seems like an oxy-moron, but this is a legitimate question, I
promise.  My linksys wireless router requires me to disable the admin
password on it to tftp a firmware update to it--however, the Windows tftp
client that Linksys ships appear to support some form of "Oh yeah, and
here's a password".  It probably really doesn't make a difference
security-wise, but it would be a lot more convenient to update wireless
routers if our tftp client spoke whatever extension they use to carry the
password.  Does anyone know anything about that protocol extension, or if
there are existing tweaks to add it to our tftp?  (I saw nothing in the
man page).  If there's a pointer to the on-the-write bits, I can always
stick it in myself, but I have yet to find one.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories