gcc ABI compliance (was: Re: Memory Mangement Problem in 5.1-RELEASE)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:58:58 +0200
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:22:00 -0700
Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

> > Didn't the GNU people say they had to change it to be more ABI compliant
> > with the 'standard'?
>
> I will believe that when they upgrade their FORTRAN compiler
> to be more compliant with 'the standard'.
>
> Some standards are not worth complying with; I still have yet
> to see anyone tell me exactly what the practical benefit of
> doing this is.

When X (X > 1) compilers comply to the same ABI standard, I can mix the
results of those compilers (if I see a benefit to do so).

As we have icc in the ports collection and the base system is compiled
with gcc and I want to be able to link to gcc compiled libs with icc, I
appreciate the effort of the involved parties to try to comply to a
common ABI standard.

Bye,
Alexander.

--