Re: We have ath, now what about Broadcom?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:36:20 +0930
On Saturday, 26 July 2003 at 11:00:40 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20030726.103846.20535602.imp_at_bsdimp.com>
>             "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com> writes:
>> The reason I keep saying that is that nobody knows for sure.  Nobody
>> has reverse engineered anything, got sued and won (or lost).  Just
>
> However, there are one or two cases that are close to relevant working
> their ways through the courts.  Since they are in different districts,
> the answer is different depending on where you live in the US.

Or *whether* you live in the US.  There's a very good reason nobody's
ever been sued for reverse engineering in Australia: it's not illegal
(which may be a different statement from saying "it's legal").  That
gets back to the original question: is it legal to use reverse
engineered software in the USA?

Greg