Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:59:25 +0000
On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:48:21PM -0600, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
> Well, I had compiled "options DDB" into the kernel and today the kernel
> panic'd... here is what I got.  I ran the following in the db> prompt.
> "trace", "show reg", "ps".  Let me know if this is the kind of information
> you need, and if there is anything else I need to provide... can I
> re-compile the kernel without the "options DDB" now, or should I provide the
> same info next time in panic's to confirm it's the same problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephane.
>
> I've attached the file debug.txt which contains the panic info.  Let me know
> if you need it in a different format.
>
> Thanks again,
> Stephane Raimbault.

  Are you using USB?

  Approximately 2 weeks ago, some changes were introduced into the USB
  code which could in some scenarios mean a depletion of kmem_map.  I've
  glanced at usb_mem.c and it appears that the USB code 'caches'
  everything that it allocates into a couple of lists it maintains
  locally.  This prevents UMA from seeing the freed memory and, from the
  point of view of the VM, the memory is never reclaimed.

  I am unsure as to whether or not the memory allocated by the USB stuff
  needs to be type stable so I can't really fix this.  I urge the USB
  authors to glance there.

  If you are using USB, try turning it off to see if the panic persists.
  If not, then we'll have to look elsewhere.

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/