Re: Polishing touch

From: Nicolai Petri <nicolai_at_catpipe.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:30:26 +0200
On Sunday 01 June 2003 18:45, arno_at_heho.snv.jussieu.fr wrote:
> Hello,
Hi Arno

> just in case re_at_ or a maintainer finds this worhtwhile :
> 1)
>
>   Setting hostname: M.
>
> > module_register: module if_tap already exists!
> > Module if_tap failed to register: 17
> > can't re-use a leaf (if_tap_debug)!
>
>   tap0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>           ether 00:90:27:3f:12:9f
>
> bit I just compiled if_tap into my kernel, and I nowehere asked
> explicitly for kldloading "if_tap" (IIRC)

I don't exactly know why it tries to load if_tap when it is already present,
but FreeBSD should not allow it to be double-linked into the kernel. I
created a patch that (hopefully ;) disallows this. You can find it at :
	http://hobbes.bsd-dk.dk/~npp/kern_linker.patch

I would appreciate if you have the time to test this to see if it aborts the
some panics.
Could you also test if unloading the if_tap module panic's the system ? This
should ofcourse be tested without my patch and preferably when a tap device
is in use.

> voila, Arno
Best regards,
Nicolai Petri
catpipe Systems ApS

Ps. If any commiter reads this and would help getting this into the tree
please let me know.