Re: cvs commit: src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica - Imported sources

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:46:55 +0100
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 03:39:44PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > > --On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 03:59:24 -0500 Larry Rosenman
> > > as a followup, with this code, I no longer get the panic at ACPI
> > > shutdown, just some messages about references.
> >
> > As a further followup, today's update of the ACPI sources get's rid of the
> > ACPI errors in the dmesg, but I ****STILL**** have the panic at 0x7 on
> > transition to battery.
>
> There's something wrong with your DSDT and/or the Intel acpica interpreter
> such that reference counting on ns objects is incorrect.
>
> > Is this going to be released like this?
>
> I'm doing my best as a volunteer.  If none of us finds the problem before
> release, the answer is "yes".  In that case, you should disable acpi or
> use apm.  Or feel free to hunt down the problem yourself.

Just a note, but using apm is rarely a solution to using acpi because
for a lot of people (me included) the box doesn't work at all without
acpi support, interrupt routing and/or timecounter support is screwed to
the point that FreeBSD doesn't work.

ACPI isn't a power management tool, that's just one small aspect of it.

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable