Re: Native JDK with libthr/libkse

From: Narvi <narvi_at_haldjas.folklore.ee>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:26:39 +0300 (EEST)
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On (2003/06/01 23:53), Narvi wrote:
>
> > > The absence of credible Java support in FreeBSD has lost us significant
> > > penetration in the past, and it would be disastrous if the perceptions
> > > of the past shaped the future.
> >
> > credible rather sounds like 'comes on the installation cd, doesn't have
> > significantly more bugs than linux/solaris/xxx version' 8-(
>
> And I think we'll get there.

I would really hope so, its increasingly a barrier.

> I'm currently doing some Java development on a FreeBSD-CURRENT
> workstation using a native jdk14.  It's good enough for testing
> components in a J2EE application server (JBoss), and performance is
> comparable to that seen on an equivalent Windows workstation.

java is not all just j2ee, though its an increasingly important niche. The
developer side is probably in the short term more important than the
number of servers deployed using it.

> Would I use FreeBSD as a production J2EE server reliant on 1.4.1?  No.
> But the time is coming, so don't write FreeBSD off just yet.

oh, i'm not writing off freebsd, its just not as ready in this regard as
competition. Running production j2ee servers is a level above having a
useful / credible java story - it would probably be something you'd do on
5.3 with a good jdk.