Re: VFS: C99 sparse format for struct vfsops

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
Date: 02 Jun 2003 21:48:55 +0100
On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 21:04, Paul Richards wrote:

> The tradeoff with using an index into an array is that there'd be a
> heavy penalty for growing the array if an extra method didn't fit, but
> that would be exceptionally rare and with our present usage we'd never
> have that happen.

I'm not sure this is actually a problem after all since the Interface
doesn't change and therefore we know a-priori how many methods there can
be so we can pre-allocate an array. I wonder why Doug didn't do this,
perhaps he thought that there'd be very large interfaces and 255 was a
reasonable compromise for a cache. However, in practice we'd save a lot
of space per kobj by preallocating the actual number of entries we
needed for the Interface instead and then we could do away with the _ce
problem. This would actually speed up the dispatch a lot too since we
wouldn't have to traverse a list looking for a matching method entry and
could call the function directly from the method table.

Doug, am I missing something?

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable