Re: umtx/libthr SMP fixes.

From: Bryan Liesner <bleez_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:24:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Scott Long wrote:

> It's very hard to imagine Jeff's patches causing a problem at the point
> that the PR mentions.  Have you confirmed the problem in a kernel that
> was build in a totally clean environment?
>
> Scott

If you mean a kernel build with standard optimizations, yes I have
seen it.  No local patches:

cc -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro

The panic happens before running init.

Sometimes I'm "lucky" and the kernel doesn't panic during boot, but it
will panic shortly before or after login.  It locks up tight
afterwards, and doesn't do a dump.

All this happened after kern_umtx.c v1.2

When I revert back, no panic...

It won't panic if I turn off the USB drive, or compile a kernel
without atapicam.  Possible problem with EHCI?  The driver finds an OHCI
device, calls it umass0, detaches it, finds an EHCI device and calls it umass1.

I'm sure it's not Jeffs patches that are the problem, but other
potential problems are exacerbated by them.