Re: VFS: C99 sparse format for struct vfsops

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
Date: 03 Jun 2003 00:08:31 +0100
On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 00:03, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <1054590840.1641.12.camel_at_cf.freebsd-services.com>, Paul Richards wr
> ites:
> >On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 22:36, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> >> I thought the point in KOBJ was that it was extensible so you could
> >> KLD load stuff which added more methods ?
> >
> >Not exactly. It allows for dynamic binding of methods that implement a
> >specified interface. It gives you 2 things mainly:
> >
> >The possible methods available in an interface are fixed, they're
> >defined in the .m files.
>
> Then I don't see the justification for the hashing & caching when it
> can be resolved at compile time...

kobj basically provides us with some OO type functionality. The linkage
can't be determined at compile time since you don't know what methods an
object is going to implement or what actual function implements a
particular method until the object is instantiated, it's sort of late
binding.

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable