Re: A possible bug?

From: Donn Miller <dmmiller_at_cvzoom.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:12:14 -0400
Zbynek Houska wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   when I tryied to mount an iso image over network (using samba) my computer
> unexpectedly crashed.
>
>  I issued this command : mdconfig -a -t vnode -f
> /path/to/my/file/mounted/on-local-machine
>
>  and since that kernel crashed, no ping response, nothing at all. I've been
> connected to this machine via ssh.
> I use 5.0 RELEASE with GENERIC kernel on P3/1 Ghz, 128 MB RAM.
>
> It happens again when I issue same command and therefore I tryied to add
> "dumpon=Yes" to my /etc/rc.conf, but nothing has been written to /var/crash.
> So I enclose message from screen:
>
> Fatal trap 12   : page fault while in kernel mode
> faukt virtual address     = 0x0
> fault code                    = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer        = 0x8:0xc1c50d4a
> stack pointer               = 0x10:0xcd1b8718
> frame pointer               = 0x10:0xcd1b8738
> code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                  = DPL 0, pres 1, def31 1, gran 1
> processor eflags          = interrupt enabled,  resume,IOPL = 0
> current proccess         = 549 (mdconfig)
> trap number                = 12
> panic:fault page

I'm seeing the same thing with 5.1-RC1.  Tried to mount an ISO image
with mdconfig -a -t vnode -f isofile -u 0 and FreeBSD immediately
panic-ed.  The iso file resided on a samba mount, which I had mounted
with mount_smbfs.  I'll try cp-ing the file to my local UFS filesystem,
and then try mdconfig, and see if I get the panic again.