Re: ACPI problems with HEAD and IBM ThinkPad T23

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:21:20 -0700
> From: "Matthew Emmerton" <matt_at_gsicomp.on.ca>
> Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:00:53 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> ------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C32A80.2F346810
>
> I cvsup'd from 5.0-R to HEAD and enabled ACPI to see if anything had changed
> in the past 6 months.
> Indeed, things have, and a few workarounds I had implemented before were no
> longer needed.
>
> However, I still got a host of errors from ACPI upon boot, and some hacks to
> device.hints were still neccessary to keep my laptop functional through a
> boot.
>
> Attached are my device.hints file and a copy of the dmesg.
>
> In particular, the things that bother me are:
> 1) All of the "Method execution failed" errors
> 2) The fact that I have to have a device.hints entry in order to see console
> message upon boot.  (Without this, my system boots up silently and after
> about 30 seconds, displays the familiar login prompt.)

On my T30, I get similar messages at startup. Some patches currently
under discussion on the ACPI list may (or may not) eliminate them. The
messages that the patches (if committed) eliminate are bogus and yours
are of the type to be in this class.

Take a look at the output of 'sysctl hw.acpi'. The T30 does not support
S1, so you need to re-define anything using S1 to use something else or
nothing at all.

Does S3 work properly? When I suspend my T30, I lose my USB ports until
I reboot and suspend does not turn off the backlight on my LCD. (This
provides a wonderful demonstration of literal bit rot.)

The requirements for hints to get the console to work at boot are
surprising. I have never seen this on my T30.

How recent is your BIOS? The latest release was on March 6, 2003. I
found significant improvement in ACPI after upgrading my firmware!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)