Re: VIA ACPI power management controller

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:45:03 -0700
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> is there a way to teach our ACPI implementation about
>
> none0_at_pci0:7:4: class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x30571106 rev=0x40 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
>     device   = 'VT82C686A/B ACPI Power Management Controller'
>     class    = bridge
>     subclass = PCI-unknown

You could write code.  There's documentation available from Via,
but they only automatically give it to companies who are willing
to sign NDA.  They state on their site that they make decisions
on sending technical documentation to Open Source driver writers
"on a case by case basis" (which means they may tell you "no",
even if you are willing to NDA).  You may have better luck with
converting a Linux driver, if there's source available for one
somewhere.

Be aware that if your machine is a "B" (82C686B), then you have
the buggy version of the chip; you need to eiter not use the
second IDE channel for anything, or you need a BIOS update, or
you need to make BIOS advanced settings changes (if your BIOS
supports it, if you have the documentation necessary to make
the changes, if the values are unlabelled in your BIOS, and if
you can find and read the German web site that talks about the
settings).

-- Terry