Re: VIA ACPI power management controller

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:14:39 -0700
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Be aware that if your machine is a "B" (82C686B), then you have
>
> It is.
>
> > the buggy version of the chip; you need to eiter not use the
> > second IDE channel for anything, or you need a BIOS update, or
>
> Not using the second IDE channel: not an option.

Additional PCI IDE controller...

> BIOS update: how do I know if the latest BIOS for the port has the
> appropriate fix? I don't think the support people know enough to answer
> such a question.

They had better, or you had better find a different vendor.

> Reading German is not a problem for me. But there are a lot of German
> webpages out there... which one? But this doesn't matter at the moment,
> there isn't a driver...

Here's the German page:

	http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2001/ep8kta3-mod/index12.php

Basically:

o	Disable PCI master read caching
o	Lower PCI latency to "0-32"
o	Disable PCI delay transaction

Yes, it's ugly on your PCI throughput; you are better off adding
an IDE interface on a PCI card, IMO.

-- Terry