ACPI + PCMCIA panic's.

From: firewolf <firewolf_at_lightningfire.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:17:19 -0700
Hello,

I am having an issue with using acpi on a Compaq Armada M700. Without ACPI
everything work's great with the exception of APM. (I had it working on a
prior install, now for some reason it isn't). I've just lived with the fact
that ACPI + PCMCIA didn't appear to like each other. It does random thing's
when acpi in enabled, either it panic's, or it locks the laptop up and your
forced to power the machine off (taking the card out doesn't bring it back),
or, the laptop just reboots. Cardbus card's however work flawlessly with acpi
enabled.

I'm using Craig Boston's patch for the M700 ACPI problems. The link to his
post is:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=868479+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021208.freebsd-current

This has allowed ACPI to work, and do everything it's suppost to, with the
exception of PCMCIA. I have tested this using a GENERIC Kernel without any
mod's what so ever and get the exact same results. The two devices I am
having problems with are, my wireless pcmcia card, it's a Intersil based
clone, and a SanDisk PCMCIA CF card reader.

When it panic's here's what I get:

wi0: < INTERSIL HFA384x/IEEE> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 fuction 0 config 1 on pccard0
NMI ISA a1, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8 :0xc0206b72
stack pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7edac0
frame pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7edae0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process         = 8 (cbb0)
trap number             = 19
panic: non-maskable interrupt trap

syncing disks, buffers remaining...
done
Uptime: 3s
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

or:

pccard1: Allocation failed for cfe 0
ata2: <SunDisk SDP> at port 0x100-0x10f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on pccard1
kernel trap 19 with interrupts disabled
NMI ISA b1, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8 :0xc039d9a0
stack pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7f0b00
frame pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7f0b3c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = IOPL = 0
current process         = 9 (cbb1)
trap number             = 19
panic: non-maskable interrupt trap

syncing disks, buffers remaining...
done
Uptime: 2s
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

---

I'm not sure if I've missed something that I should have done, but I'd
appreciate any help in fixing this. I really need to be able to use ACPI,
but at the same time have the ability to use the memory card reader and wi0.
Once again, both work flawlessly when booting with ACPI disabled.

Is there a part of ACPI I can disable to to get pcmcia working? Or is there
a patch I could try, to try and fix this? The load on this machine is new,
and can be trashed if need be, willing to test any patch. I am using the
latest -CURRENT, but the problem exists since 5.0DP2 at least.

Thank you,

Chris.