Re: PANIC: FreeBSD dislikes temps (panic when mounting /tmp)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > I probably am, actually :-).  Is the file system in question UFS or UFS2?
>
> [1] dcs_at_dcs:/opt/home/dcs$ sudo dumpfs /dev/ad0s2f
> magic   19540119 (UFS2) time    Fri Jun  6 14:06:59 2003

Hmm.  Ok. Well, UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART doesn't really need to do that on
UFS2, only UFS1, so I probably need to add a check somewhere.  It
shouldn't crash, but it also shouldn't need to be there.  If you're not
using UFS1, you can turn it off in your kernel config also, although I'd
like to make sure I fix the problem so I'll probably ask you to turn it on
briefly once I get you a patch.

> > Is this during the boot, or is this later when you mount a UFS file
> > system?  The trace is truncated at the bottom, I think.
>
> On mount. fsck works, even.
>
> As for the trace, there's the following on a simple bt:

Ok, that's fine; I just needed the context to know if it could be
something special about the boot-time environment.

> Funny that bt full actually stops on that problem.

Yeah, bizarre.  Who knows, maybe gdb got bored. :-)

I'll try to drop you a patch in the next day or so, thanks!

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories