Re: support for RTL8201 phy nic card

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des_at_ofug.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:17:24 +0200
Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des_at_ofug.org> writes:
> As for your MAC, I can't say if it's supported or not unless you tell
> me what it is.  That's what I meant by "doing some research of your
> own".

...and before you ask any more questions, please see the attached
reply to your earlier enquiries on the -stable mailing list.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org

attached mail follows:

Eriq Lamar <eqe_at_cox.net> writes:
> I have a epox nforce2 motherboard and it has a phy nic built in but I can't
> use it. when will working driver be available??

PHY is short for "physical interface" and is the chip on a network
adapter that actually modulates (and demodulates) the signal over the
cable, so there is no such thing as a "phy nic".  What you probably
have is an on-board nForce MCP2 network adapter, which as far as I
know isn't supported in any version of FreeBSD.  It would be easier to
answer your question if you provided some more information, such as
the output of 'pciconf -lv'.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org