Re: FTP and command-line multiple downloads

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:55:28 +0400
On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:28:02PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:10:21PM +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>
> > I must admit that I overlooked this feature in lukemftp.  In fact,
> > lukemftp can download multiple files specified as a wildcard via ftp.
> > However, lukemftp accepts wildcards only in the "classic" ftp file
> > specification, i.e., host:path/file, and not in URLs.
> >
> > Do you think the ability to use command-line wildcards should be
> > extended to URLs as well?  Luke Mewburn may be convinced to do that
> > in his ftp client.  Technically, the task is as easy as removing a
> > single logical subexpression from an "if" statement.
>
> lukem doesn't want to change it..I suppose the difference and
> workaround should be documented in the manpage.  I'm happy with the
> workaround.

As a matter of fact, the feature is documented well in the section
AUTO-FETCHING FILES of lukem's ftp(1), though no words are said on
how it differs from the older FreeBSD ftp client, naturally.  We
can create a customized manpage version that will explicitly describe
the difference.  Does it sound reasonable?

--
Yar