Re: Correct PCI suspend and resume operations [ was Re: cirrus ich3 doesn't work after suspend to disk ]

From: Mark Santcroos <marks_at_ripe.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:41:32 +0200
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:15:05PM +0200, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> > AFAICT, we don't common code for handling this and maybe there should
> > be some rather than have each driver replicate this behaviour.
>
> In general, that would of course be better. However, I don't know if the
> PCI layer (in this case) always knows enough.
> On the other side, if the device itself has to do some special things, the
> PCI layer could at least do the generic stuff.

To be more precise, the suspend function should know the powerstate it is
transitioning to. If it keeps context (D0-D2) it doesn't need to do much
special, if it will loose context (D3) it should save the state at
suspend, and restore the state at resume.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/    New Projects Group/TTM