Re: ACPI Regression in -CURRENT?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche_at_math.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:18:26 +0200
+ Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>:

| Hi Thorsten,
|
| On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:42:18PM +0200, Thorsten Greiner wrote:
| > some time ago several people (including me) reported ACPI related problems
| > on various Dell laptops resulting in error messages of the form
| >
| >         ACPI-0293: *** Warning: Buffer created with zero length in AML
| >
| > During the 5.1 release process these problems have been temporarily fixed.
|
| This is due to the Dell laptops having an invalid ACPI table in the BIOS.
| The only way to avoid these messages is to tell FreeBSD ACPI to override
| the vendor supplied table with a correct one.
|
| Mark Santcroos developed a patch which worked on his C640 and my Inspiron
| 4150, which you can find attached. Here are the steps to use it: [...]

I tried that on my Inspiron 4150 with 5.1-RELEASE.  The patch failed,
but only for trivial reasons like different placment of braces.  So I
applied it by hand and followed directions, but the warning messages
did not go away.  I know my efforts did *something* though, as I find
this in dmesg output:

Preloaded acpi_dsdt "/boot/acpi_dsdt.aml" at 0xc055c1cc.
[...]
ACPI: DSDT was overridden.
    ACPI-0375: *** Info: Table [DSDT] replaced by host OS

Also, I still cannot suspend the machine: acpiconf -s <number> results
in a variety of interesting behaviour, always ending with the machine
in a useless state (except acpiconf -s 5, which does what it should -
like halt -p).  Actually, acpiconf -s 3 seems to "almost" work: The
screen goes blank, and the machine turns itself off - only to turn
back on immediately, but with the screen remaining blank.  So I hit
Fn-F8 a couple of times, and lo and behold the screen is alive again
and the machine is responsive once more.  I did this from a console,
but when I do Ctrl-Alt-F9 the X server is hosed: Wrong colours,
garbage in the top of the screen, and zero response to any
keypresses.

Can you suspend yours?  Any more clever tricks?  (Hmm, I suppose we
should discuss this on -mobile, but since the thread started here...)

- Harald