Centrino laptop & (glidepoint | sd card | wireless)

From: Adriaan de Groot <adridg_at_sci.kun.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:43:28 +0200 (MEST)
I'm playing around with 5.1-RELEASE, kernel upgraded to -CURRENT, on a
centrino-based laptop (from micropoint.nl, but that site's in dutch and
short on technical details). The laptop boots winXP, linux, and
5.1-RELEASE just fine, but there are some devices missing when I boot into
FreeBSD. The real irritating one is the lack of the glidepoint device, so
I don't have an integrated mouse then.

*** Glidepoint Mouse

Has anybody else seen glidepoint devices disappearing on this kind of
setup? Linux finds the mouse and gives me /dev/psaux to play with, but for
the life of me I can't find out where it thinks the device lives - damn
their dmesg output.

Windows tells me that I have an 82801DBM LPC Interface controller, id
24CC, (which I presume is an ISA bus bridge) and hanging off of there
there are typical ISA devices like the keyboard, printer port, and an
"Alps Pointing Device", which must be the touchy-feely pad thing. It's
attached to the PS/2 mouse port, or so it claims, and IRQ 12.

How can I best go about convincing the 5.1 kernel that there is a device
there? Can I force a scan of the ISA bus, looking for this device (well,
reading the ISA PnP configuration entries would be swell, too)?

[Remainder of message is about other devices found & not supported,
speedstep, and other little things.]

*** SD Card Reader

This lappy, as well as my Toshiba Satellite 6100, come with an SD card
reader. I don't suppose that's supported or will be supported in the near
future. It's on IRQ 5, I/O 0x248-0x24f, FWIW.

*** Wireless LAN

The Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adaptor isn't recognized
either - and earlier messages don't seem to be conclusive about whether
it's supported or not. For example,
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2003-March/000007.html
quotes an earlier message saying "It's a Prism 2.5", which leaves me
wondering whether it's supported or not.

*** Speedstep

The speedstep support - in particular sysctl ..current_speed and
economy_speed - seems to work. At least, pulling the plug & letting it go
to battery, reducing the CPU speed, has a significant effect on things
like md5 /usr/lib/* (not that that's a scientific test, mind you).

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg_at_cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE