Re: pci probing "fixed" (was Re: PCI bus numbering and orphaned devices)

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_efn.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:52:07 -0700
Bernd Walter wrote this message on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:23 +0200:
> Your patch still probes for additional functions without checking
> if the device really is a multifunction device.

I just now realized that the MFDEV ment Multi-Function device!  Now
the patch to pci.c makes perfect sense.

> There are devices out there that react on every function although they
> are single function.
> Can you check this together with Warners patch?

Thanks, I've been having a conversation with gibbs (via proxy through
dwhite) and he suggested the same thing.

The good news is that this now works "properly".

I have posted the updated stuff at:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/dmesg.sparc64.v2
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/pciconf-lv.sparc64.v2
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/sparc.patch.v2

I will of course revert pci_read_device back to it's original state
since the MFDEV patch makes it unnecessary.

> Maybe we can also keep the original code, as the problem was not not
> of machine independent nature as I originaly tought.
>
> > Warning, this contains much debugging data, and probes for PCI devices
> > that previously didn't get probed for.
> >
> > P.S. Sorry for the duplicate post to -sparc64.  I forgot that some of
> > the -current crowd is interested in this work too.
>
> If it changes MI part - yes.

Looks like it will change it some.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579