Re: Interest in nvidia-driver debugging on 5-*

From: Samy Al Bahra <samy_at_kerneled.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 05:11:34 +0000
Hey,

> I believe the fix is as simple as saving and restoring %gs in
> the nVidia driver, and/or not letting the nVidia use %gs at
> all (segment registers generally belong to the OS, in any case,
> and stealing a CPU register of any kind for exclusive use of a
> driver is a pig trick).

Please take a look at http://www.minion.de/
Christian Zander has written a patch to deal with the gs restoration
problem and other issues. It is well tested and adopted. Maxime Henrion
has also written several patches which may be found in the ports system
(x11/nvidia-driver).

I think Terry is jumping to conclusions on what Evan's problem could be.
I have this seen this cause application to crash at exit (if using
OpenGL) but never a crash in kernel-space from the nVidia drivers.

--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy_at_kerneled.com |