Re: Interest in nvidia-driver debugging on 5-*

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:02:20 -0700
Samy Al Bahra wrote:
> Daniel Eischen Wrote:
> > No, I don't think Terry is jumping to conclusion.  Read
> > the archives of this problem.  The Nvidia drivers and OpenGL
> > for FreeBSD won't work with -current and any threading
> > library other than libc_r.
>
> I didn't deal with any users having kernel crashes from this %gs
> restoration bug only OpenGL-linked applications crashing at exit (such
> as QT applications, do look at minion.de for a better description).
> You're incorrect in many premises here (as Terry kindly pointed out).

Uh, Daniel and I are in total agreement on this one; I don't
know what I'm supposed to have pointed out, but I was basically
going off a conversation between Daniel and an nVidia user, and
my understanding of the threads library code in the three
libraries.

BTW: a corrupted %gs can crash a user space program that's
threaded and expects a different value, without actually
crashing the kernel: it all depends on who trashes who's %gs
first, since if you crash in user space from a %gs set by
the kernel to an unexpected value, then you aren't going to
get the opportunity to set it to a value that will crash the
kernel becase, well, having crashed, you aren't runnung any
more to execute the code to do it.  8-).

-- Terry