Compaq Presario 2140US w/Current - no mouse/pointpad?!

From: Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:51:03 -0500
Hi folks;

I've got an odd one here...

Trying to run 5.1-RELEASE on a Presario 2140-US laptop (4.x locks up in an
odd way on boot, and I can't get into the user config - that goes into an
infinite keyboard read loop at boot when you use the "-c" option?!)

Anyway, the "-c" option appears to have been removed from the kernel boot on
5.x (so I can't look for possible conflicts before startup), and the mouse
doesn't initialize.

Booting verbose says that the IRQ cannot be allocated (irq 12), but a
careful persusal of the boot log shows no other devices attempting to attach
to, or actually attached to, that interrupt.

Any ideas?

I'd like to get the X-server and KDE running on this thing, and shed the
borg (XP) if I can....

I'm not new at FreeBSD in any way, but things appear to have changed
significantly in the user config area with 5.x, and I've run out of
"self-help" ideas on this one...

Other than the mouse (touchpad) not initializing with this error, and some
niggling ACPI issues (apparently the Compaq has some ACPI capabilities that
5.x doesn't, and there is some kind of clash causing error messages once in
a while during state changes such as from battery to AC) everything ELSE
appears to work properly.

Karl Denninger (karl_at_denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org	Working for family and children's rights
http://diversunion.org		LOG IN AND GET YOUR TANK STICKERS TODAY!