Re: bluetooth 20030604 and 5.1 release

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:25:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

--- User Toyboy <toyboy_at_toy.homeunix.net> wrote:
> Hello again, all information you have given me has been very helpful.  ButI
> have messed up somewhere while setting up the rcfomm_pppd section and I
> don't know where the problem is.  I have setup my ppp.conf like this:

[section skipped]

please take a look at examples in rfcomm_pppd(8) man page. you might want
to start with clean ppp.conf and make Bluetooth stuff work then add your
existing configuration.

> the output from hcidump when my other computer tries to make a LAN
> connection over PPP is:

[ skipped ]

up until this section everything looks good.

> > ACL data: handle 0x0006 flags 0x02 dlen 17
> > ACL data: handle 0x0006 flags 0x01 dlen 1
>     L2CAP(d): cid 0x4f len 14 [psm 3]
>       RFCOMM(s): PN CMD: cr 1 dlci 0 pf 0 ilen 10 fcs 0x70 mcc_len 8
>       dlci 2 frame_type 0 credit_flow 15 pri 0 ack_timer 0 frame_size 127
> max_re
> trans 0 credits 0
> < ACL data: handle 0x0006 flags 0x02 dlen 8
>     L2CAP(d): cid 0x40 len 4 [psm 3]
>       RFCOMM(s): DM: cr 1 dlci 2 pf 1 ilen 0 fcs 0x73

this section tells me that remote side wants to open RFCOMM connection on
DLCI 2 (RFCOMM channel 1), but FreeBSD rejects this connection (most likely
because nothing is listening).

> Also, let me explain cleary what I am trying to do so you can tell me if my
> understanding is wrong.  I am using my FreeBSD box with a bluetooth adaptor
> to serve internet connections to other devices, my laptop specifically.
> So I did "hcsecd", then "sdptool add --channel=1 LAN" then

did you run "sdpd"? you need to run "sdpd" and then register service with
"sdptool". also you can verify that service has been registered by issuing
"sdptool browse ff:ff:ff:00:00:00" and look for LAN service.

> rfcomm_pppd -a mylaptopaddress -s -C 1 -l bluetooth"

aha! this is the problem. you misused "-a" option. in server mode "-a" tells
rfcomm_pppd(8) on which *local* BD_ADDR it should listen. it seems that you
have specified *remote* (mylaptopaddress) BD_ADDR. this (*remote*) BD_ADDR
does not exists on FreeBSD, so connection will never be accepted.

in general server application should listen on ANY BD_ADDR, i.e. accept
connection via any local device. so what you should do is remove "-a"
option completely, .i.e.

rfcomm_pppd -s -C 1 -l bluetooth

this will make rfcomm_pppd(8) accept connection from any local device.
its all in the man page.

> These are all the steps I took to get this to work.  The items are already
> paired.  Does anyone know where I am making a wrong step?  The laptop I am
> using to connect is MAC OS X, and I found info on the net to connect OSX to
> a bluetooth PPP over LAN connection says I should do this on my mac:
> select "LAN access using PPP."
> Select RS232 on Port type.
> On the Modem tab, select "Null Modem 115200" modem profile.

can you discover services on your MAC laptop? do you see FreeBSD? do you
see LAN service on FreeBSD? if not then you did not setup "sdpd" on FreeBSD
properly.

thanks,
max