Unable to build world. multiple symptoms

From: Tom Parquette <tparquet_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:11:16 -0400
I updated my 5.0-CURRENT sources yesterday (Saturday morning) and ran my
buildworld script.
When the compiles failed, I searched the mailing lists and found someone
else having the same problem.
His solution was to change the -j value (I was running with -j10 on my
dual processor AMD).
I have tried all the way down to -j1 and the compiles still fail.  I
took the -j value out completely and it still fails.
Running without the -j value at all got me the error message #error
FreeBSD alloca support needed for this compiler from
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:

I cannot find any response in the archive to either Email.

I saved tails of some of the failing compiles with various -j values if
someone wants to see them.
TIA for any help.
Cheers...