Problems tuning kmem_map on 5.1-REL box.

From: Peter Losher <Peter_Losher_at_isc.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:19:36 +0000 (UTC)
Hi -

If this sort of question is better asked on a more specialized list
_at_freebsd.org, please let me know. (Since 5.1 is still considered a
developmental release, one doesn't know if either -current or -stable
would be more appropriate.  So I am sending it to -current.

So, I recently put a Quad-Xeon server (w/ 4GB of RAM) into production as
primarily as a master FTP server for ISC as well as for FreeBSD (US/IPv6
side of ftp.freebsd.org).  All has been going well for the past couple of
weeks until 5.1 was released. Traffic spiked, and the server started
panicking every 12 hours:

> panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 377487360 total allocated

So after looking at the archives, I read that FreeBSD had issues with
installed memory above 2GB, so I set the sysctl kern.maxvnodes=130000, but
to no effect:

> panic: kmem_malloc(16384): kmem_map too small: 293519360 total allocated

I have since removed my NMBCLUSTER setting in the kernel, so it would be
set automatically, I have even set VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="2" (I haven't messed
with the other KMEM kernel options, as I was hoping to avoid it)  And a
couple of hours ago I updated the kernel with the latest kern_malloc.c file
in the RELENG_5_1 branch.

Are there any other options I should be pursuing in resolving this issue?
(5.1 has been running almost flawlessly on our other SMP systems for over a
week now, but then again, this system gets by far more load and traffic
than all of them combined.)

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Best Wishes - Peter
--
Peter_Losher_at_isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"