Re: NVidia kernel driver support for FreeBSD-5.1

From: walt <wa1ter_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:30:26 -0700
Juan Rodriguez Hervella wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've got a PCI-NVidia Riva TNT 64 video card at home,
> and I've tried to compile the drivers but it doesn't work,
> and after changing the source to let the compilation progress,
> when the module is loaded I've received a "kernel panic".
>
> Im using FreeBSD-5.1 with XFree86-4.3, what can I do
> to solve this issue ? I can not run the X system using
> the "nv" driver, my computer hangs up.

#pciconf -l -v

none1_at_pci0:12:0:        class=0x030000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x002d10de rev=0x15 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
     device   = 'NV5 TNT2 Model 64 / TNT2 Model 64 Pro'

This is my video card, which sounds just like yours.  I have it working
fine with the native XFree 'nv' module, but two caveats:

First, once you have installed the driver from NVidia, your /usr/X11
tree will contain files that prevent the native 'nv' module from working.
I was never able to figure out which files were responsible so I finally
deleted the entire /usr/X11 tree and reinstalled everything from scratch.

Second, you must be very careful which modules you load in your XF86Config.
There is at least one module which will prevent everything from working--
unfortuneately I can't remember which one :0(

Section "Module"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "xie"
         Load  "pex5"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "xtrap"
         Load  "speedo"
#       Load  "glx"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Notice that I have 'glx' commented out -- I think that's the reason I
did that, but it was a long time ago.