Re: VIA C3

From: Gerrit Kühn <gerrit_at_pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:00:10 +0200
On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:44:17AM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:

> I have an Ezra or an Ezra-T core (the only difference is Tualatin <sp>
> compatibility), and it produces an Unknown.

> If you have a 'Samuel2' core, then you have a Samuel2 core.  It's neither
> Ezra nor Ezra-T -- those two are the successors to Samuel2.

Well, all I can say is, that I bought it as "Ezra" and there is "Ezra"
printed on it. FreeBSD identifies it as Samuel2, though.

> > However, if you have a C3 without SSE, it's basically a K6 with MMX
> > and 3dNow. So I'm using "CPUTYPE=k6-3" in /etc/make.conf. Up to now
> > this has been working fine for me.

> I've been using CPUTYPE=i586/mmx.  That's been working for me as well -- I'd
> be interested to see which is more optimized.

I don't know. But I think there are only rare cases where you will
notice differences.

> Does your chip understand CMOV?  GCC presumes that a 686-class processor has
> CMOV, and while the C3 /is/ a 686-class processor, it doesn't do CMOV.  But
> I heard a rumor that the Samuel2 core /does/ do CMOV...

I guess it doesn't understand CMOV. I can remember trying i686 first
and having problems with several applications then... afair
/usr/ports/editors/joe was among them (crashed when starting). I had
already heard about that CMOV thing then and blamed the crashes on the
i686-setting. Since I moved to k6-3, everything is just fine.

cu
  Gerrit