Re: VIA C3

From: Damian Gerow <damian_at_sentex.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:31:03 -0400
This isn't really a -current issue, moving to hardware.  Please strip the
Cc: in your reply.

Thus spake Gerrit K?hn (gerrit_at_pmp.uni-hannover.de) [18/06/03 11:20]:
> > FWIW, the best way I've seen to figure out which chip you're using (at least
> > between Ezra/Ezra-T and Nehemiah) is to look at the clocking -- Ezra/Ezra-T
> > seems to be 100*10.0, whereas Nehemiah seems to be 133*7.5.

(Note that this obviously only holds true for 1GHz rated chips.)

> Back to the performance-discussion between cputype 586/mmx and k6-3
> optimization: do you have a suggestion how to benchmark it?

Well, there's always /usr/ports/benchmarks.  nbench might be what you're
looking for -- compile it once using 586/mmx support, and once using k6-3
support.

Other than that, time a buildworld/buildkernel.  But I'm not a benchmarking
person by any means, so this may or may not be accurate.

Doing the buildworld/buildkernel will probably be more intensive -- compile
it with k6-3 flags, reboot, then do another compile with the same flags.
Time that one.  Do the whole process again with 586/mmx flags, again, timing
the second of the two builds.  I don't have a couple of days to throw at
benchmarks, so I definitely won't be doing this.