My computer gets stalled when I try to exec the X window system (It was can't compile Nvidia driver)

From: Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jrh_at_it.uc3m.es>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:35:29 +0200
Hello again:

It doesn't matter
if either I use the /usr/x11/nvidia-driver or I use the normal "nv" driver,
when I run "X" or "kdm" or "xf86cfg" my computer hangs completely.

I've got the Nvidia RIVA TNT 64M PCI (I made a question here a cuople
of days ago).

My computer has an ASUS-SP97 motherboard with a SIS5597 vga chipset
and it doesn't have AGP, only PCI and ISA slots. I upgraded my BIOS
to make it work with hard-disk bigger than 8G, and also to allow to
switch off the onboard VGA chipset..... With Linux and Windows
it works nice :(

I've tried with XFree86-4.2 and XFree86-4.3, but no success.

Sometimes, when I lauch "X", I see on the screen as if the
computer had reboot, I mean that I see the information about
the NVidia vga card that I usually see when I switch on the computer
for the first time.

It's very strange because I've been working with my NVidia card
on 5.0-DP1, both with the "nv" driver and with a driver for FreeBSD-5.0
before nvidia released his own driver.

I don't know what I've done during this 2 weeks, but now I don't have
X system any more  (lol). Im really fed up with this because I was getting
used to using KDE (lol again :)

If anybody can help me....I will give my computer away to him, I swear

Thanks :(

--
JFRH