Re: Email accounts on FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:18:33 +0100
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 05:16:11PM -0400, Alex Ayala wrote:
> Ok, maybe...yes I read what I wrote and didn't quite explain what I really
> wanted to say.
>
> I want to setup accounts on my box so users can retrieve emails by accessing
> my pop server. Do I need to setup user accounts on my box with the "adduser"
> command? I don't want them to be able to have access to the shell by any
> means.  Is like when I wanted to give someone access to my ftp server I just
> created an account and took out the shell part in the passwd file.  Sorry my
> english is not the greatest.  Trying to explain something and can't find the
> right words.
>
> Is that a bit better to understand?

The answer depends a bit on which pop server you're using. If you
don't want to create user accounts on the box for mail users then
use something like Cyrus, which manages it's own authentication
and so doesn't require any system accounts to be created for mail
users.

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable