ACPI Patch/DSDT .asl for Dell Inspiron 5000

From: Isaac Waldron <iwaldron_at_wpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:23:49 -0400
I have fixed the "stock" DSDT for my Dell Inspiron 5000 (Model: PPM).  It
compiles fine using iasl from the acpicatools port, and enabling ACPI no
longer causes the LCD to blank on startup.

Additionally, I have written a patch for version 1.29 of the
sys/dev/acpica/acpi_ec.c.  The patch affects the EcWaitEventIntr function to
better parallel the functionality of the EcWaitEvent function.  In summary,
the changes are:

1)  Added a call to AcpiOsStall to wait one microsecond before reading the
embedded control status for the first time (this is done in EcWaitEvent).
2)  Re-wrote the remainder of the function to use a single call to ACPI_MSLEEP
that will wait up to 10 ms (again, from EcWaitEvent) for the embedded control
status to be updated.

I wrote this patch to reduce the frequency of "ACPI-0432: *** Error: Handler
for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_ERROR" errors.  The code was written in a
way to call tsleep 10 times and wait for only 1 tick each time.  This
resulted in a wait that was too short on my machine.  The patch has cleared
up most of the errors by increasing the wait time.

Both of the files are available at
http://users.wpi.edu/~iwaldron/freebsd/patches/acpi/

Sincerely,
Isaac Waldron