Re: acpi patch for dell laptop?

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:06:20 +0200
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:53:32 -0400
Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net> wrote:

> > And with ACPI disabled, the machine refuses totally to
> > boot, it hangs at 'Mounting root from ...'. If I undock the machine,
> > I can boot with and without ACPI, with the latter option being the
> > only usable (stable) mode.
>
> Just out of curiosity, have you tried setting
>
> hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
>
> in your /boot/device.hints file? I've found that this option fixes
> many unbootable laptops - especially thinkpads.

Hmm.. Yes, I think I have. Atleast it's in my device.hints file now -
however I don't know if I tried docking it and booting without ACPI
after I put that line in.. Perhaps I should try again, but my gut
feeling tells me it's not gonna make any difference. Atleast as long as
its undocked it had no effect on any of the other problems I'm
experiencing.

/Eirik