Re: transferring data (after losing all non-root logins)

From: Matthew Emmerton <matt_at_gsicomp.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:43:23 -0400
> I recently forgot my root password, rebooted single-user and changed it,
> and immediately afterwards the computer denied the existence of any
> non-root users (home directories still there for those that had them,
> they still have login shells, etc.). This was the only change made to
> the system. This is a -current system from late April that was in storage
> for a while. I was planning on wiping this system to install 5.1-R anyway,
> but I need to back up the data first. I can't burn a CD because I didn't
> have mkisofs installed and can't install it (no man user), I can't run
> sshd (no ssh user), and I can't figure out how to make telnet allow root
> logins (I know, a Very Bad Idea(tm) usually, but it's not a security issue
> when I'm allowing it from one IP for 5 minutes and will be changing
> passwords anyway).
>
> So... I'm think of trying to find another hard drive, to install that and
> transfer the data. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Well, it really sounds like your password database got got hosed.  Does
/etc/master.passwd have entries for all of your non-root users?
If so, then probably all you need to do is regenerate your password
database.  The easiest way to do this is run "vipw", make some kind of
change (and undo the change -- this is just so it thinks the file has been
changed) and exit.  Your password database will be regenerated.

--
Matt Emmerton