Re: acpi patch for dell laptop?

From: Michael W. Oliver <michael_at_gargantuan.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:52:01 -0400
+--- On Monday, June 23, 2003 09:42,
| Shizuka Kudo proclaimed:
|
| --- Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:
| > doesn't work for several models.. Including Inspiron 7500.
| > WHo knows enough about this to be able to look at debug info
| > I have?
|
| John Baldwin has posted a patch which worked for me on my Thinkpad 600X
| with the same "ACPI-0340" error.
|
| http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=214877+0+archive/2003/freebs
|d-current/20030615.freebsd-current

ACPI-0340: *** Error: Could not release ACPI Global Lock, AE_BAD_PARAMETER

After patching my DSDT table, I was receiving a flood of these messages as
well on my Gateway SOLO-9300, but the above patch also worked for me, and
now I see zero messages from ACPI.  Whoo-hoo!

Is there a central location where we can post DSDT patches, as well as
quirks like this, for various laptop models?  I would like to share mine
(although I think I am the only person who has mentioned a Gateway laptop
here).

In case there isn't, here is some info about my machine:
(if any of this looks strange, please let me know)

$ sysctl hw.acpi
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S2 S3 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S1
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 0
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.max_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.current_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.performance_speed: 8
hw.acpi.cpu.economy_speed: 4
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 5
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3291
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3681
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3701
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3321 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
hw.acpi.acline: 1
hw.acpi.battery.life: 100
hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
hw.acpi.battery.state: 2
hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5

$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
#
# the NONE setting lets the intended BIOS setting of 'lcd off' work
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
# update the temperatures more often
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=5
# the S3 setting was causing all sorts of havoc, locking the machine up
# so tight that the AC and batteries had to be removed to make it
# function again
hw.acpi.suspend_state=S1

--
|       Michael W. Oliver, CCNP       | "The tree of liberty must be |
|      gpg key - http://michael.gargantuan.com/gnupg/pubkey.asc      |