questions about VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE

From: Jay Kuri <jay_at_oneway.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hi there,

Can anyone shed some light on the implications of adjusting
VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE?  In particular I'm wondering if I increase this to,
say, 2, what happens?  I must admit I don't know how KVA is different from
KVM or total RAM... so the note in kern_malloc ("on an x86 with 256M KVA,
try to keep VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX at 80M or below") doesn't shed enough light
on the matter.  What are the implications of VM_KMEM_SIZE getting large?

Does changing this affect memory available to user programs if it's unused
by the kernel?

Thanks for any assistance,

Jay

Nothing fails like success because you do not learn
anything from it. The only thing we ever learn from
is failure. Success only confirms our superstitions.

        Jay Kuri	 jay_at_oneway.com