Re: Best way to get max KVA setting?

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:26:05 -0700
Mike Silbersack wrote:
> I could probably grep for this, but what's the best way to get a hold of
> the # of pages (or MB of ram) that max KVA is set to?  I'm adding another
> autosize option, and I want to base it on min (KVA, ram) so that it
> doesn't balloon on boxes where ram >> KVA.

I posted a patch about a month ago that did exactly this.

It was for a guy who was was running with PAE enabled on an
8G machine, and the autotuning was shooting him in the foot
when it tried to grab enough memory to create kmem_map entries
for the 8G of RAM in his 2G KVA space, and its head exploded.

Let me know if you can't find it in the -current archives, and
I can dig it out for you, if you're willing to wait a day or
two.

-- Terry