Re: 8MB install

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:30:28 -0700
"Simon L. Nielsen" wrote:
> On 2003.06.25 12:10:42 +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > FWIW, the last FreeBSD release I managed to install on an 8mb machine from
> > CD-ROM+bootfloppies was 4.1.1.
>
> Can anybody else confirm this ?  It seems like the documetation need to
> be updated to state this.

State what?  That you should use 4.1.1 on 8M 486 machines, if
you intend on installing from media that require the use of a
RAM disk for installation?

Seems a little specialized... 8-).

> Have anybody made any recent tests on CURRENT (and STABLE for that
> matter) with regards to minimum RAM requirements, install and normal
> runtime?

Yes; about two months ago there were a couple of people who
installed on an old 386SX.  The main issue was that they had
to roll their own distribution from sources, specifically with
a stripped down kernel without all the weird drivers (which is
exactly what I talked about in my previous posting).

-- Terry